Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Automatic Screen Window Titles in Bash and Vim


I finally configured screen to display the list of windows open with useful titles. Here are the few bits I needed

First, if you don't know what I'm talking about:
I occasionally SSH into work, and when I do I use a program called screen that can host multiple terminal shells. It can persist those shells and allow me to reconnect if I get disconnected or want to change computers I'm working on.

BTW, I always start screen with screen -RaAd -S x

  • -a   include all capabilities ...
  • -A   Adapt  the sizes of all windows ...
  • -d -R   Reattach a session and if necessary detach or even create it first.
  • -S Name of the session


The default configuration makes it hard to keep track of how many terminals you have running, and what they are doing. I made three changes that help my personal workflow:

Add a persistent display at the bottom of screen
In .screenrc I appended this line:
hardstatus alwayslastline "%{=b}%{G} Screen(s): %{b}%w %=%{kG}%C%A  %D, %M/%d/%Y "


Source: Julien Chaffraix, a coworker.

Set the current directory name as the window title from bash
In .bashrc I appended these lines:

if [ "$TERM" = "screen" ]; then
  screen_set_window_title () {
    local HPWD="$PWD"
    case $HPWD in
      $HOME) HPWD="~";;


      ## long name option:
      # $HOME/*) HPWD="~${HPWD#$HOME}";;


      ## short name option:
      *) HPWD=`basename "$HPWD"`;;


    esac
    printf '\ek%s\e\\' "$HPWD"
  }
  PROMPT_COMMAND="screen_set_window_title; $PROMPT_COMMAND"
fi


You can see that I'm using a short name for each directory, e.g. "chromium" instead of the full path or suffix path after my home directory, e.g. "~/projects/chromium". You can toggle the commented lines to try alternates.

Source: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/6065/gnu-screen-new-window-name-change.

Set the name of the buffer I'm editing in vim
In .vimrc I appended these lines ("To create ^[, which is escape, you need to enter CTRL+V < Esc"):

if &term == "screen"
  let &titlestring=expand("%:t")
  set t_ts=^[k
  set t_fs=^[\
  set title
endif


Source: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Automatically_set_screen_title.